Monday, May 19, 2008

Wine Spectator

There's at least one thing I can say about the Wine Spectator magazine; it is certainly BIG. At 10"x13", it qualifies for the biggest magazine on my coffee table. Of course if the Whole Earth Catalog were still around, it would give WS a run for its money in the size department.

I started receiving the Wine Spectator when my aunt signed me up for a free subscription. I haven't had a lot of time to peruse it, but I don't mind that she signed me up; I'm hoping it will give me some lessons in talking about wine. Then I will be able to use sentences like "Polished and focused, with a core of currant, fig, cedar and coffee notes that stays streamlined through the full-bodied finish" instead of "I like it!"

Glancing through this month's magazine, I see that of the California wineries mentioned, I've been to one. Since I've been to many California wineries over the past 6 years, I'm not sure it that says more about me or more about the magazine. Maybe more about how well the magazine and I are matched - or not. I also noticed that it's hard to find wine priced under $20 a bottle in their lists of recommendations.

So we'll see. One of these days, I'll sit down and browse through the other 4 or 5 issues I have and see it we'll become good friends or not.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Since this is a wine blog, any mention of the death of Robert Mondavi?

Susan said...

I should do that. I'll be a bit behind everyone but that's ok.