Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Put A Cork In It

On my latest wine trip in Santa Barbara, we bought several bottles of 'fine' wine with screw caps. I encountered a screw cap wine at a restaurant about 4 years ago and we joked with the server about how funny it is to get wine in a nice restaurant and then have the server unscrew the cap. Some people miss the cork. I do not. I like being able to easily cap the bottle after pouring. I like not having to battle with the corkscrew to open wine. And I like not struggling to get the cork back in the bottle. I don't think I have ever been seduced by the romance of cork removal and cork smelling. So screw caps don't bother me at all. I won't even miss saving the corks since I already have my bulletin board made from my corks.

So, will you miss the cork?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I like taking the cork out, but I do not like putting the cork back on. I think that the screw cap idea might be nice for people like me who are occasional wine drinkers. I'm not even sure we have a corkscrew in this house!

JohnnyB said...

I have these gray rubber cork things that come with a pump so you can vacuum the air out of the bottle. I no longer try to force the original cork back in.

Sue said...

I bought that too!