Sunday, May 18, 2008

Wine Racks Are Expensive

I have about 3 or 4 cases of wine here at the house and many bottles sit in the cases I brought them home in. I have a couple small wine racks that I've picked up over the years that don't hold enough bottles and so I've decided to buy a wine rack that will hold my wine and grow to accommodate more wine.

But wine racks are expensive! See here at Pottery Barn I can get one 12 bottle unit for $70. Sure, they look nice stacked to hold 72 bottles but that will cost $420 if I've done the math correctly. If I already have 36 bottles I might as well invest in a rack to hold at least twice that much.

Target has a $40 rack that hold 20 bottles, so that certainly is cheaper but I'm not in love with the look. The Shoetree store has converted shoe racks to wine racks, I think, and are offering 2 racks that hold 6 bottles each for the price of $25. I'll pass. This one only holds 16 bottles but includes a drawer for your cork screw, holders for your glasses and a table top to set the open bottle on.

I know I do need a wine rack. As I collect more bottles that I'll want to save for awhile, I need a place to keep them. And I'll probably end up with a wine cooler too one of these days. But if you think wine racks are expensive, wait until I shop for the cooler!

3 comments:

Karen said...

I have very plain, utilitarian wine racks in a closet for most of our wine storage, and then a smaller, nicer one that's out on a counter for all to see.

Sue said...

Great idea! I even have a closet I could use - if I can just empty it!

Jenny said...

I like the Pottery Barn one (do they make anything that looks bad?). The others are ho-hum, but probably more realistic.