Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Robert Mondavi

"The son of Italian immigrants, Mondavi founded a winery bearing his name in Napa Valley in 1966 and went on to become one of the most prominent figures of the US wine industry, making famed Cabernets and Chardonnays"

Jenny mentioned Mondavi in the comments and I did see the news about his death. I'm not a big Mondavi fan or detractor. I don't think I've ever been to a Mondavi winery. He was obviously very respected. There is a tribute album for him here. You can read about his life here. Reading it, I learned Mondavi was responsible for creating the term Fume Blanc which is just another name for Savignon Blanc. My favorite Fume Blanc is not Mondavi, however, it is Ferraro-Cerrano.

Maybe this weekend, I'll pick up a couple Mondavi wines and make a toast to Robert.

No comments: