Monday, May 26, 2008

My Search For White Wine

For white wine that I like, that is.

About 10 years ago, I rediscovered my aunt. I should say, my daughter discovered her but I benefited because my aunt and I renewed our friendship at the same time. Somewhere along the line, I informed Mary that I enjoyed a glass of red wine now and then but I wasn't a big fan of white wine. She thought I just hadn't found the right wine and decided to help me find my favorite white. She took me on a two day wine trip through Napa-Sonoma, determined to locate a white wine I liked.

I can't tell you how many wineries we visited and I can't even name many of them. I tasted a lot of Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc that day. I didn't like any of the Sauvignon Blanc and I only liked a few of the chards. One Chardonnay I liked was the Rombauer Chard. To my taste it was 'softer' than others. I also didn't enjoy the Reisling or the Pinot Grigio.

I don't remember the winery we were at where they served me a Viognier. It was love at first taste. From then on, we asked for Viognier at every winery we went to. There weren't many, but I liked them all.

As it turns out, there just weren't a lot of Viogniers in the Sonoma-Napa area. The Viognier varietal is difficult and has only become really popular in California in the past decade or so. There are currently more wineries with Viogniers in Central California and, as I discovered lately, in the Santa Barbara region. But I'm seeing it more often in Northern California as well.

Since that trip 10 years ago, I've learned to like other whites besides my Viognier. More on that later.

"The distinctive aroma of peaches, apricots, and violets is a hallmark of Viognier. Its highly aromatic nose is complemented by moderate acidity and flavors of peaches and minerals in the mouth." via




2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm not much of a fan at all for white wine. I'll drink it, but I won't like it.

Susan said...

LOL "I'll drink it but I won't like it."