Monday, June 23, 2008

Food and Wine Pairing

Snooth Blog has a nice article about food and wine pairings and it was helpful to me. I hadn't thought of a Sauvignon Blanc or Sancerre being "racy" but I appreciated the tip that they work well with salty foods. I agree that spicy Mexican or Italian food can use a strong, bold wine but I can also see having a crisp, cold, more mild white with them in the same way I like a nice bland cream cheese with smoked salmon - but like some snappy capers too. The article isn't snooty and the writer encourages you to make your own choices. I'll give it 2 1/2 wine glass rating.

1 comment:

JohnnyB said...

On Sunday, Karen and I had dinner at a nice restaurant and we shared two entrees: a rosemary/balsamic roasted chicken and some artichoke spanikopita with a sambuco sauce. I might have thought these should probably go with a white wine, but I wanted red and I ordered a merlot. Both the balsamic and the sambuco flavors in the two dishes were bold enough not to be overwhelmed by the mild merlot. In fact, after a bite of the spanikopita, the aftertaste of the sambuco, blended with the flavor of the merlot enhanced both of them. Mind you, this successful pairing was just luck, I really know little about what goes with what.