Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chianti

I knew about Chianti before I knew about wine or alcohol. When we were small, our mom used to take us to a little hole in the wall Italian restaurant in L.A. called Chi Chi's. If it still exists, Google doesn't know about it. It had the requisite red checked table cloths and every table had a candle holder made with an empty Chianti bottle. Multi colored candles had been stuck in the neck of the bottle and, as they burned, wax dripped down the neck of the bottle. My brother and I were much more concerned with the spaghetti than the table decorations and my mom never ordered Chianti with her meal so I didn't associate the bottles with any liquid. Just fire.

Now I love Chianti. It's a great robust red wine and you can usually find a nice, full bodied Chianti for a nice, low price. I also really like Sangiovese which is the varietal that contributes heavily to Chianti.

In some ways sangiovese is to Chianti as cabernet sauvignon is to Bordeaux. Both form the base of wines normally blended with other varietals and both by themselves share a certain distinctive elegance and complexity, when well-made.

via


Sangiovese or Chianti are the perfect accompaniment to spicy, red sauce pasta! Or chocolate. Or both.

No comments: